Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 21 - Gull Lake, Saskatchewan

Today we drove from Canmore, Alberta to Gull Lake Saskatchewan. It was a long drive considering we had to change the clocks ahead one hour in Alberta.

Today Sofie's fish Sue Sue almost met with a very untimely death. I'm sure most people are wondering why we'd bring the fish on a trip like this but this fish has a lot of travelling under his "belt" already so we thought why not? Anyway all the bumps on the road in the mountains put a crack in his travelling bowl and as a result all his water leaked out. I have no idea how long he was without water but when I went into the trailer at break time I noticed he was lying on his side in the bowl without water. I didn't see the crack at first so I filled it up with water and he popped back to life. Only then to have his water leak back out. Ahhh!!! I quickly grabbed one of our tupperwear bowls and tossed him in there with some more water. He's still alive and well. So if anyone out there is looking for a sturdy kind of fish I highly recommend a Siamese Fighting Fish (betta). Clearly they can take a licking and keep on ticking!!!

We stayed at the Gull Lake Campground which was a place where Mike and I had tented about 11 years ago when we drove across. It was a lot busier this time. When Mike and I were here before we were the only campers and then one guy showed up just around bedtime.

When we got there this time the park was just starting to fill up. The lady running the place was surprised at how many people had showed up. She said every time she went back to her house (which was just beyond the park) someone else would show up. She said if that’s all she has to do to keep the park full she’d gladly go back and forth.

I also noticed how much the trees had grown since we were last there. We felt a little bit on display the first time around since the park is basically in the middle of the town. Now you wouldn’t really even notice.

Everyone was very friendly and we all liked the campground a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment